Monday, August 10, 2009

Free Motion Quilting

I have been very excited about quilting lately. I’ve been working quite a bit on it and really enjoying it. As my post last week showed, I have several things in the works. My mom and I are working on a couple of quilts together. I have gotten excited about the idea of free motion quilting them after watching the Old Red Barn Quilt Along. There's one major problem with free motion quilting - I'm a perfectionist and the thought of it terrified me. But, I decided that I really wanted to try it out and see if I could do it. I also decided that I didn't want my first attempt to be on one of these 2 quilts my mom and I working on - there has been quite a bit of time and money put into these quilt tops and I wanted to practice on something first. But, I also didn't want to just practice on a scrap. It's very hard for me to practice on something that isn't going to be used. With two little ones running around, I don't have much time to sew, but when I do, I want it to count. I went to my favorite fabric store and looked at their sale section. I wasn't really sure what I was looking for, just something that I could use that would be simple, but still useful. I found some blue fabric with cats and dogs on it and realized that it would be PERFECT for Elizabeth. So, I bought a yard of it and another fabric and decided to make her just a little blanket. Well, I free motion quilted it. I read and watched the tutorials several times at Old Red Barn and Oh Fransson and then I just did it. And I loved it. I loved doing it and I LOVE the way it turned out. It isn't perfect, for sure, but I'm ok with that (a huge step for me). I finally realized that this is handmade and nothing handmade is ever going to be perfect. So, now I'm really excited about getting the other quilt tops done so I can quilt them. I'm definitely a convert to free motion quilting. Now, I have to bind this blanket for Elizabeth and I'm thinking she'll use it for rest time at Mother's Day Out this year.

I have been working on this and Elizabeth has seen it. She asked me who I was making it for and I said it was a secret. She thought on that for a day or two and then said, "Mommy, I think I know who the secret is for. I think it's for me because it's blue and has dogs and cats on it." Bingo - I knew it was perfect for her as soon as I saw it.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

That's awesome Page. It looks sooo good, I can't wait to see it finished :) Good job taking big steps and being ok with it not being perfect, way to go! I'm super glad you tried it by hand and without the papaer and all of that stuff, because it turned out great and you seem really happy with it. You could totally do it on a big for real quilt :D